Monday, August 31, 2009

Why on earth are leggings so popular in England? OR My first 2 weeks at work.

As usual, the deafening silence from my blog is related to something I felt unable to discuss while the process was in motion. In this case, the process was... GETTING A JOB! I sprinkled my CSR/sustainability/non-profit applications with a few pure private sector research and consulting positions. Of course the few applications that went forward were private sector - my attempts at sustainability positions beyond my not-really-paid internship were met with deafening silence.

The weather, to quote my favorite BBC Anglia broadcasters has been rather "unsettled" as of late. We don't really have a dress code at the office, which includes people working in pure creative positions as well as people doing a lot of B2B work so on any given day there are lots of jeans and quite a few suits, depending on the department. I have opted for smart business casual as I am simply not stylish enough to compete with the creative types walking around and in my tiny little division I was hired as the most senior person besides the BIG boss so examples must be set. Many of my colleagues around the office deal with the changeable weather by wearing leggings. I have previously discussed how much I despise leggings, but with English I can see the point of integrating them into the wardrobe. Not to say I will, but I can understand the obsession. They are just EVERYWHERE though. I can't escape the leggings. And the main issue in this country as opposed to the US where leggings are totally unnecessary to wear outside the northeast, women in England choose to pair leggings with incredibly short tops and dresses. Leggings are no more flattering and barely more covering than tights and a lot of people just shouldn't wear them.
Rant ended.

I really like the work atmosphere and it is giving me a great dip into a niche consulting area. I have a great MBAish title and all of my peers (who are based in the states) are MBAs as well. I am enjoying my job, starting to receive my own accounts, and starting tomorrow will be supervising interns! London is still a fantastic city. I am starting to get used to the bustle again and I just sit back and blend into the many commuters and wackos on the tube every day. Like the guy who insisted on holding both overhead poles and scrunching up his face in pain randomly throughout the 4 stop journey. Or the woman who brought her dog on the tube during rush hour. Or the woman who saw the dog, screamed, and ran to the other side of the tubecar. Ah, London, I have missed you.

1 comment:

Ehram said...

you've got to love london, especially the outings on the tube and the 'colourful people' who populate the underground. Also being from foreign shores, over here attending a business school london, I find the differences both vast and at the same time comforting. Where else can you listen to a tramp busking neil young on your way home...