Thursday, July 9, 2009

Attempting to be a green carnivore

One of the best parts about moving to a small town (ok, people keep telling me Cambridge is a city and I keep not believing them) is having access to local deliciousness. The farmers market every Sunday morning has fantastic local products, including my favorite, ostrich.
While I was in business school I actually ate a lot of carbs because carbs (i.e. pasta and bread) are cheap. However, my body suffered for it and since I started on this "caveman" diet I've had a lot more energy. One of my constant internal battles has been knowing that eating a lot of meat is not good for the environment. Though my stomach suffered a bit from all the pasta, my wallet and my sense of being good to the environment kept my conscious happy. When I moved over to the UK, I discovered ostrich is actually an incredibly delicious RED meat. That's right, it tastes like steak. I thought this had to be too good to be true. I did a little research and it turns out that ostrich is a much "greener" meat as well, given the bird itself used less land than cattle and its feed (alfalfa based) is better for keeping land arable. AND the farm is local of course! In short, I found a happy medium between staying fit and being green.
Interesting blog post: http://www.greendivamom.com/2009/03/17/green-meat-how-to-be-an-eco-conscious-carnivore/

2 comments:

Nick Carrasco said...

the only problem stateside is that ostrich is definitely not wallet friendly. But yes it is good and it is environmentally friendly... remember, I wasn't always a veg... I've had me fair share of the animal kingdom.

JulyDream said...

Happy to hear it!! How's the other side of the pond treating you anyhow?