Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back to Plato

A bit of reflection, some last pieces of advice...
One of the basic tenants of my application advice was "know thyself" - what you want, where you can live, what you future could entail. With almost two years of business school experience under my belt, I will go back to Plato and say that I have effectively accomplished the goal of any educational pursuit. That is, I do not claim I know what I do not know. I am more aware of all the wonderful possibilities out there in the world, and I know that there are numerous things that I do not know about corporate social responsibility, microfinance and plain old finance.
I think I had a lot more direction in my life before I went to business school. Career wise anyways. In my personal life I have acquired a lot more direction since I started. Marriage does that (16 days and counting...) The economic crisis has made future husband's social welfare state look mighty appealing.
Though I do not know exactly what I want to do in ten years, I have a better understanding of who I want to be. As monotonous as some of my paralegal work was, I could go home every day feeling good about the work I was doing. I am a strong believer that I had the good fortune to be born in one of the best countries in the world, a country that was built on the backs of immigrant labor. A country that allowed my family to prosper. I got to help others take a step closer to that dream and pay off my student loans at the same time.
My personal mission statement currently resembles that of Net Impact's - doing good through business. I am still interested in the non-profit sector but definitely more in the arena of something very business related such as microfinance.
I've learned that I have a lot left to learn after business school. This was merely a slight bump onto a different path than the one I thought I was on in college. I am excited, hopeful and curious about what is ahead. I may blog, I may not. My final advice comes from someone far wiser than I, Dr. Seuss
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."

No comments: