Thursday, April 10, 2008

I GOT AN INTERNSHIP!

Excuse me while I go dance around my apartment for a few minutes...

OK, done for now. The non-profit recruitment process is fraught with frustration, pain and waiting. Waiting for business school results was NOTHING like this. There was a deadline, a light at the end of the tunnel. With non-profit recruiting, there is a lack of resources in general, which causes applications to hang in cyberspace for months. Even then, I felt lucky when someone actually got back to me to say I had not received the internship. At least there was closure!
The major non-profit recruiting "season" does not really start until March. In fact, a plethora of job postings coincided with the beginning of Module 4. Thus, not much work has been accomplished this term as I pound the pavement virtually.
It finally all paid off this week and I received an offer from a fantastic organization that does management education capacity building in Africa. HOW AWESOME IS THAT? It is actually paid, too. Now, I am taking about a 50% salary cut from what I made as a paralegal, but this was to be expected for a non-profit internship. I am starting with them immediately and we are going to revisit whether its working and whether I want to stay for the summer in a few weeks. In the meantime, I have one government consulting a few microfinance applications pending and an interview at a very big name in the field this afternoon.
Lastly, in a little over a month, I'll be here:[Relaxed sigh.]

5 comments:

Nick Carrasco said...

congrats. while the internship works with Africa, where will the internship be located?

JulyDream said...

CONGRATS!! I love the Calvin and Hobbes picture... though the beach looks mighty nice right now. :)

Anna said...

oooo what beach is that?

HairTwirler said...

Nick: DC, your wife is happy
anna: St. Thomas

mba_salsera said...

Congrats! So you got the call after all Any luck after the microfinance symposium career fair?! And congrats on the clearadmit nom ;-) I hope I'll be seeing you tonight at the happy hour before spring prom? Have a nice weekend! Cheers!