Sunday, February 17, 2008

POMA numbers, Non-Profit Internship Fund & Catholic singles?

An eclectic title for an eclectic mix of news. Many exciting things have been going on with the 09s this module, and I am, as usual, in the thick of some of them.

An interesting academic development this module is the business planning class and forthcoming integrative. We attend meetings twice a week, once meeting with investment coaches and the other listening to lectures from entrepreneurs and faculty on creating a business plan and pitching it to investors. We had a great lecture two weeks ago from one of my favorite professors at MSB, Prof. Dahiya. He is my finance professor, and also provided the lecture on financing for our business planning class. He introduced an interesting concept entitled "POMA numbers" to describe the financial estimates on an imaginary bagel business plan. Straightfaced as always, Prof. Dahiya announces, now what are POMA numbers? Pulled out of my ass! HILARIOUS. Sandeep had another good moment in finance class where we were discussing the consequences of debt and how going into hock was not always a great idea, despite the tax benefits. He looks around the room and goes "who has seen Shakespeare In Love?" WHAT? Some of the guys, mostly with wives, were brave enough to admit they had, and the professor gave a detailed retelling of the some of opening scenes of the movie where the moneylender is burning the shoes of the theatre manager. I don't know where he gets this stuff. Most importantly, I think I will come out of this semester understanding the basics of finance, and better yet, almost be able to explain them to someone else. How well is yet to be determined!

Non-profit Internship Fund Auction
The last few weeks were an exciting race to the finish to put on the fantastic Non-profit Internship Fund Auction! My motives for joining this club were not quite pure, as I hope to receive money from the fund to support myself over the summer when I am, almost inevitably though be design, going to be working for a non-profit. I have applied to only 3 jobs that pay (yeah, consulting!) and have a slim chance of getting 1 or 2 of those. The payment for one of the 3 is $12/hr. I think I could make more than that babysitting.
Anyways, we put on a SMASHING auction off campus this year. The finger food was amazing, and included appetizers such as little bowls of mac and cheese and pieces of bacon. Yes, simply pieces of bacon. Also sliders, chicken quesadillas and steak on sticks. I love meat. There were some lovely veg appetizers too but I got a bit obsessed with the pieces of bacon. There was a lot of organizing to be done, and I must say that the phrase "I just work here" often came out of my mouth during the auction. The 2nd years did a lot of the work and made our lives quite easy. My contributions of an airport ride and mystery boxes did well enough, and I bought finance tutoring from a fellow SGA VP. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to auction off a friend of mine for a date. However, thanks to my initiative he is available to be viewed on catholicsingles.com. In retaliation I was signed up for a different unnamed dating site. It was still worth it.

2 comments:

m@ said...

so do you guys have any sort of domestic corps type of thing going on? (http://nonprofit.umich.edu/students/dc_students.php) just a thought on how you might wanna get something at G-town incubated.

HairTwirler said...

We don't have the money or the administrative support for something that structured, basically. But we do pretty well with our student funded & run non-profit internship fund. Some of us are working on getting the school to implement a loan repayment program but no luck so far. It's ANNOYING. Our dean has great vision on many other things, but I have much to say on his lack of vision on this subject.
We do Board Fellows and Service Corp consulting projects during the year which are all unpaid. Yes, that is a touch of bitterness you detect!