Monday, January 21, 2008

Interviews: B school and jobs

I have my first internship interview tomorrow. As this is a non-profit social justice organization I have little idea of what to expect. The reams of electronic files listing potential questions that exist for marketing, finance and consulting are not in play here. The best I can do is study up on the organization, practice my personal pitch, and remember what I wrote on my cover letter (it was lost in my Christmas time hard drive crash.)
Business school interviews were pretty easy for me, as I generally interview well. Most of mine were "walk me through your resume, why b school, why THIS b school." I probably had to spend more time on the why b school question than other applicants as I was employed at a law firm at the time and a J.D. seemed the more logical track. I have perused some of the blogging fare from this year's applicants and I am pleased to see the enthusiasm and details thrown out in our little community keeps increasing!
Many applicants are chronicling their interview experiences, and frankly, some of them are just missing the bloody point of questions. One blogger writes "I heard the fit question is really important at this school" and worked really hard to come up with an answer. Another struggled with the question of 'why' a particular business school. If you can't readily answer why you fit with a school or why you applied to a school, then you shouldn't be applying to those schools, even if it's "H/S/W." Now, of course my blog is less popular because I don't attend "H/S/W" but seriously people, take some time to actually consider your options before you apply.
It is important to fit the pieces of your life and your career goals together in your head, and then a clear path should emerge. Each school is different, and you should be able to explain why. When you get to business school, you will need to be able to understand the differences between the investment banking divisions in the ten companies you apply to and be able to give a response to the question, if you are given an offer would you take it right now and why. Having a good understanding of WHY you apply in the first place is a basic step on your MBA path.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself. :D