Friday, August 10, 2007

Accounting: bleh

I just got back from my first accounting test. I think I passed it, which is all that was required this time around. Yesterday the program hosted a back to school welcome party complete with a food spread that brought us all back to the elementary school days- sloppy joes, chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cookies. Very cute. A critical difference from school days of old was that the drinks selection featured cold beer instead of cold milk. The admissions/ student services also wisely scheduled the event at 4 pm, as the entire class had the accounting pre-test today.
Apparently about 150 members of the incoming class are attending stats camp. ($500 extra) I am not one of them. Last night people were bemoaning how they spent about an hour going around the entire room having everyone say their name. Being MBA students many calculated out how much the introduction hour cost them and discussed it with classmates. Estimate: $41.67.

A quite American method of meeting people is to have brief conversations in which we search for sometimes shallow commonalities, chat for a little, then move onto another conversation. International students I have spoken to find this a distinctly American and sometimes overwhelming characteristic of American university life.

Now that the accounting test is over I can start studying my statistics textbook. Yeah! (Note the dripping sarcasm...)

No comments: