Friday, July 20, 2007

Applying Round 1

Today, Clear Admit posted a succinct entry on round 1 planning advice, all of which I followed last year. One thing that is implied, but not explicitly mentioned in this article, is that turning in eight round 1 application is probably not a good idea.
Almost exactly a year ago I made the interesting decision to apply to all my potential schools in round 1. At the time I know this was because I wanted to sort my finances and have a clear shot at financial aid as well as express a strong interest. The University of Cambridge, for example, requires Americans to apply for certain scholarships in October. Hindsight being 20/20 I can now say that this was a mistake. I thought by applying all in round 1 I would receive my results roughly at the same time and be able to make my decision with all the options laid out. However, this turned out not to be the case as some of the earlier deadline schools required a three week decision from me, which ended up being before the admission results were released from my later round 1 schools. At any rate I think I applied to an appropriate number of schools, but I could have spread out my applications a bit more to round 2. Then perhaps I could have avoided a few 3 and 4 am nights and a sick day from work.
Again, hindsight is 20/20 and it all turned out well in the end!

No comments: