Friday, June 1, 2007

Give me an I!

For India! I am typing along on the comp at the guest house we're staying at in Delhi. It's 6 am. I can't quite recall the last time I saw 6 am willingly but that's what a combo of jet lag and initiative to finish touristy things before the temp hits 105 does for you. We started out near the US Embassy yesterday to take care of some business and I took a great photo of the ridiculous line forming for U.S. visas. Once I get to a place where I can hook up my camera I will post the photo. We saw the Red Fort which was full of Indian tourists and three other white people- a dutch woman and two north American women. I had my photo surreptitiously taken by two men who then not so sneakily stood by me and took more photos. That was before we even entered the red fort. Then had my hand shaken by all the women and girls in this one family. I'm not sure what part of the country they were from but they ignored the bf entirely and were dressed to the hilt with jewelry, bangles, earrings, etc.
The poverty is pervasive, but I was expecting it and was not as shocked as I hadexpected to be. What is heart breaking is the street children. You have to ignore them but I know it will continue to bother me throughout the trip.
The goal of today is to hit at least one muslim site and not get totally screwed by autorickshaw drivers like we were yesterday. Tomorrow we fly to Goa (yes, I know it's the monsoon season but I still want to see the cities) and then Jaipur and Agra- assuming things have calmed down ion Jaipur. Otherwise just Agra. Breakfast time- so far no Delhi belly. Let's see how long this lasts...

1 comment:

MBAstarter said...

Hope you have lots of fun and nice anecdotes to report from India :)
Have you read Shantaram?