Tuesday, March 6, 2007

How not to make a decision

In the past few months I have received a plethora of advice on my business school decision, both solicited and unsolicited. As I work at a law firm the usefulness of these opinions varies greatly. Here are some things I've noticed about the advice I've received.

1) Everyone has an amazingly complex set of biases that they will project onto your background and decision.
2) People are very willing to spend your theoretical money.
3) People are obsessed with rankings.
4) The Business Week forum can be the devil, be wary.
5) There is such a thing as too much information.

OK, so #4 was more a piece of advice I would like to impress upon the blogosphere.

If you're type A decision maker at a certain point you have to tell your parents, SO, friends, colleagues and every one else to let well enough alone, cloister yourself for a few days, and make a decision. OR if you're the type that actively solicits advice from every one you meet, have a close friend lock you in a room for a few days and emerge with a decision.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting on decisions!

1 comment:

Alyce said...

If you have any questions about living in LA, feel free to drop me a line! I moved from there to Texas a year ago.