Friday, February 23, 2007

Conversation with Cambridge

I went down to New York to attend the MBA Tour earlier this month (February). I attended solely to meet with the Director of Admission from Judge (Cambridge) who was presenting at the fair. See my previous posts about the events leading up to this conversation. Now, replying to your waitlist decision decision with a strongly worded email about how your interview made you question the leadership of the business school is probably not the recommended course of action. However, as I was sitting on several acceptances from very strong programs I decided "what the heck" and emailed my North American admissions rep. An excerpt from my email:

"At some point soon I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with someone on the admissions committee about my interview. It was an interesting experience that left me with an unfavorable impression of the leadership of JBS."

As previously mentioned, this prompted a response from the Marketing and Admissions Director.

I posted myself outside the room where the Cambridge information session was to take place and intercepted the Director before the session. He was very personable and professional and immediately offered to speak with me right after the presentation. We spoke for approximately fifteen minutes about my interview. He gave me very helpful feedback on my application and why I was waitlisted. I made it clear during the interview that I understood why I was placed on the waitlist and said that regardless of the outcome of my application I believed no one else should have the same appalling interview experience I had. The Director was extremely receptive to my feedback, enthusiastic about the program, and generally professional and friendly. The admissions end of the school at least is in excellent hands.

One amusing thing that happened was when the Director said it sounded as if my interviewer had a bad day. Me: "I certainly hope so!!" He also said that they usually receive very positive feedback about the admissions office. To that I didn't quite have an appropriate response. Cambridge does not seem to have a very effective method for anonymous feedback. Therefore, one would assume that applicants' responses are colored by their wish to be accepted. Or, applicants' responses are colored by receiving an acceptance to the program. This is the type of statistical and data analysis question that I enjoy tossing around. How is such "positive" feedback gathered? What is the study size? People who are moved to independently give feedback are possibly overly pleased (matriculating students) or overly disgruntled (me). Ahh, statistics. I look forward to abusing you once more next year.

No comments: